Monday, June 11, 2007

Vive La Nordstrom - ノードストロム万歳

(Nordstrom is obviously feminine, isn't it?)

Daniel might say I have an unhealthy obsession with shopping, and particularly, shopping for shoes or at Nordstrom. I don't deny it.

My roommate in college, Julia, may agree - except she was right up there with me. One Xmas, Julia and I presented each other a magnet in the shape of a Nordstrom card and a license plate frame that read "I'd rather be shopping at Nordstrom;" we hugged, and both said, "You know me so well." (OK, so we bought them together. I'm not even mentioning late-night Super Kmart runs at 1 AM when our daytime shopping urge wasn't satiated. Good times.)

Years ago when I was asked if I was willing to move to Colorado, one of my questions was, "There'll be a Nordstrom there, right?" (Luckily, a new one was being constructed at that time, and now thanks to my endless campaigning to the communities around me, they have two.) So you see, there is not much hope for change.

As I was moving back to Seattle after a 15-year hiatus, I was soooo happy to come back to the mother ship: The Flagship Nordstrom in downtown Seattle!

So naturally, one of the most detrimental affects of my illness has been my inability to endure shopping trips - especially to Nordstrom. I can't drive for long without overwhelming fatigue and pain; can't stand car rides much of the time; I wear out quickly and start becoming sweaty when trying things on, etc. As a result, I've gotten way too familiar with the UPS delivery man (a.k.a. online shopping). I realize that's better for environment and everything, but it's just not the same.

I had been hesitant to make any social plans, afraid to have to cancel because of a bad day. But when my friend Eve said she wanted to go shoe shopping (out of all things!) I just couldn't resist. I hadn't really gone shopping in months and the cabin fever was getting to me. Just going to doctors' appointments doesn't count as having a social life. AND Nordstrom was having their Half Yearly Sale, which made my heart skip a beat.

I'm starting to learn from all the literature given to me that an important thing is to have a fall back plan, because if I hold myself to standards of the past (e.g. all-day outing) I would inevitably fail.

Since Eve is a very nice person, I knew I could tell her honestly what's going on. So:
- I asked Eve to drive and didn't offer to meet somewhere - she met me at my place.
- We planned for a short-ish shopping day on Sunday after ample pampering (such as manicure with hand massage).
- I had multiple back-up plans (if I get exhausted, I can (1) call the day off; (2) not go shopping and end the day on a good note after the manicure, being happy we got to catch up; or (3) call Daniel to come pick me up so Eve can keep shopping, so I wouldn't kill myself feeling bad to cut her shopping short).
- Wore my flat Keds instead of the perfect wedge heels which went with the outfit better.

Too many times I wanted to do things in exactly the same manner as I used to do them, which resulted in disappointments. If I stuck out with just one rigid plan and felt miserable doing it, making myself sick in the process, I'd be less likely to participate in anything in the future, and that would be even more annoying. So as selfish as it may seem, I decided to become honest about my needs and possible outcomes (plural).

I think that reduced the stress level - I had one of the best days I'd had in months. So we hit the downtown Nordstrom, among a few other spots, and came home with the bounty: Eve's new shoes she'll wear to a wedding, which go with the gorgeous silk dress her husband brought home from China. It was very satisfying.

After taking a nap yesterday, I am a bit more tired today than usual with a few more aches and pains, but not bad! It's not killing me for once. If I have to get over it for the next couple of days, I'd take it, because it was totally worth it. I believe adrenalin and endorphin (which is said to reduce pain, right?) were released as a result of shopping. Maybe someone should turn this in to a research: Effect of Successful Shopping Trips in Fibromyalgia Patients.

They say men are hunters, but I think women are hunters of pretty things.

Thanks Eve and Daniel for your support. Here's to great girlfriends and partners.
-A

(ノードストロムは多分女性名詞ですよね?)
日本の方へ:ノードストロムはこちらのデパートです。
一番お気に入りのデパートと置き換えて読んで下さい。

ダニエルに言わせると、私はショッピング中毒かも。 
特に靴とノードストロムでのショッピング。 否認はしません。

大学の時一緒に住んでいたジュリアも同じことを言うかも分かりませんが、
少なくとも彼女は同類だったといえます。

とあるクリスマス、お互いにあげたプレゼントの中には、
ノードストロムのカードを模ったマグネットと、
「(今ここにいるよりは)ノードストロムでショッピングしてる方がよっぽど好き」
と書いてあるナンバープレートのフレーム。
ハグしつつ、「私のことわかってくれてるのね」と言いあったものです。
(一緒に買ったんだけど。)

10年ほど前、コロラドに引っ越さない?と聞かれたときに考えたのは、
「そこにはノードストロムはあるんでしょうね?」ということですから、
救いようがありません。
(そのときコロラドのノードストロム第1号は工事中。
私が周りのみんなにお勧めしたおかげで、
今はめでたく2軒あります。)

シアトルに今回また15年ぶりに舞い戻る際にも、
ノードストロム本店に帰れる!と喜んだものでした。

というわけで(しょうもない)、体調を崩して一番つらいことの一つは、
ショッピングに、特にノードストロムに自由に行けないこと。

運転するのも車に乗るのも大抵つらいし、すぐに疲れてしまって、
試着なんてしようものなら汗がすぐにじんできます。
そんなこんなで、宅急便のお兄さんと必要以上に
顔見知りになってしまいました。
(オンラインショッピングとも言う。)

環境の為には通販でお買い物したほうが
車で出かけるよりいいって言いますけど、
やっぱりお店に行くのとはちょっと違います。

具合が突然悪くなるのを恐れて、
お友達と出かける計画をたてるのはここのところずっと避けていました。
でもここ何ヶ月かショッピングなしに閉じこもりきりで我慢も限界。
お友達のイブが「靴探しに一緒に行かない?」と言ってきたときには、
二つ返事。 だって、お医者さんと病院に通うだけでは、
社会と接しているとは言いかねますし気が滅入ります。
ときに、ノードストロムの半期決算セールは真っ最中!
バーゲン好きの血が燃える! しかも靴探し!

いろいろ線維筋痛症や慢性の痛みに関する文献を通じて、
物事が上手くいかなかった際の計画をたてておくことが大事と
だんだんわかってきました。
今までと同じに事を進めようと思ったら(一日中出かけるとか)、
上手くいかないのが必至だから。

イブはとってもいい人なので、正直に全部打ち明けられます。
そこで、いろいろ計画を練りました。
  • 自分で運転してそれだけで疲れることのないよう、
    彼女に運転してもらって迎えにきてもらう。
  • 一日中出かけるのではなく、日曜日午後から、
    短時間のショッピングを計画。 しかもネイルサロンで
    手をマッサージしてもらって十分リラックスしてから。
  • 疲れてしまったときの為に、いくつもプランを用意。
    (1) もし無理だったら最初から行かない。
    (2) 途中で疲れてしまったらネイルサロンで
       話ができたことを喜び、そこまでで止めておく。
    (3) ダウンタウンに行ってから疲れてしまったら、
       イブはそのままショッピングを続けられるよう
       ダニエルに迎えに来てもらうことにする。
       (そうしないと悪いと思って無理するかも知れないから。)
  • 洋服とばっちり合うウェッジヒールの靴ではなく、
    ちょっとださくても快適なケッズのぺたんこ靴を履いていく・・・など。
今までは、具合の悪くなる前のように何かしたいと
思っても出来ずがっかりすることばかり。 
以前と同じ調子で計画を立てても現実的ではないし、
その後体調が悪化すれば落胆して余計引きこもってしまいます。

ですからかなりわがままのようですが、
しょうがないので自分のニーズと、ありがちな結果(複数)を
最初からオープンに検討してみました。

多分こうすることで、ストレスを防げた面が多かったと思います。
ダウンタウンのノードストロムとお店いくつかに
久しぶりに行って、獲物を捕らえてきました。
イブが今月お友達の結婚式に行くとき履ける、
ご主人が中国で作ってきてくれたドレスにぴったりの靴。
すごく満足!

昨日帰ってきてお昼寝し、
一夜明けて今日、少しいつもよりも疲れて
あちこち痛くはありますが、死にそうではありません。
むこう2~3日で回復できるとしたら、行った価値はありました。

ショッピングのおかげで、
アドレナリンとエンドルフィンが分泌されて
痛み止めになったのかも! (^-^)
ひらめき: 誰か、「線維筋痛症患者における
成功したショッピングの効用」というような研究をすべきなのでは?

ステレオタイプで言うと昔から男性は狩人とされてきましたが、
女性はきれいなもの、素敵なものを捜し求める狩人だと思います。

イブとダニエル、ありがとう。
いい友達とパートナーに乾杯。

No comments: