Sunday, June 24, 2007

Confession of a sleepless addict - 中毒患者(?)の夜中の告白

Weather: Cloudy/Rainy, 55°F (as of 3:45 am)
Energy Level: 2 out of 10 (as of 4:00 am, though)

I had a relapse.

I've never taken up smoking, but I imagine this is what it must feel like when trying to quit. You know that it's good for your health to quit, and you try with all your might not to get close to that carton - and you catch maybe a whiff of that smoke on street, remember what it feels like to inhale and feel that relief - before you know it, you have a cigarette between your fingers.

I'm imagining, of course.

I know in my head I'm not supposed to have gluten = wheat = (regular) soy sauce. I think I've tried to maintain a pretty positive attitude thus far since I found out (after a grieving period in which I felt like life was unfair, of course), but the cause-and-effect relationship (I eat it → I get sick) must not have been pounded into my body yet.

I was walking along on the sidewalk, unconsciously hungry, after my doctor's appointment on Friday. As it happens, I have a very keen sense of smell. I caught a whiff of Korean BBQ meat (bulgogi - marinated in a solution most likely containing regular soy sauce) from the nearby Japanese take-out restaurant (low-cost Japanese places around here are almost always run by Korean folks - and they almost always do better Korean BBQ style dishes than Japanese dishes). Korean BBQ was one of my former-favorite things - I tried to replicate the flavor at home, but professionals inevitably do a better job. Before I knew it, I was sitting inside the restaurant, having placed my order.

The perverseness of the dish made it seem that much sweeter. I gobbled it down, thinking: "Maybe a little bit wouldn't hurt - maybe they made a mistake in diagnosing me. Maybe they were just kidding. Maybe now that I started feeling a bit better, my body can take it better."

No such luck. It tasted great - for the 10 minutes I was eating it - and the two days that followed (and counting) have been hellish. For the first time in a long time, I remembered the pain of body-twisting stomach cramps, my intestines spasming constantly, pain shooting through to my back, arms, everywhere - accompanied by a nice nauseaand joint pains.

Now I get it. I do have celiac disease, and gluten kills me. I read when I was younger that Native Americans have a more experiential approach to child rearing: Instead of telling children not to touch a stove, parents let them touch the stove - just long enough to feel the pain of burn - while watching carefully so the children don't hurt themselves too badly. I remember thinking, "Huh, that's clever. I bet that works well." I guess even as an adult, I needed that kind of lesson to really "get it."

I was completely ashamed of myself. So many people cared about my well-being, and there I was, seemingly turning back the progress. I couldn't tell Daniel what I had done for almost a day. After all he had done for me since I became ill, it seemed so ungrateful for me to sabotage my progress.

But I couldn't keep a secret from him, so I fessed up and apologized. He was nice as usual with a good sense of humor. Unable to stop chuckling he said, "You don't have to be sorry for me, and I do find it kind of funny - I keep picturing you sitting at that restaurant, excited [to have the forbidden fruit] and looking guilty." This made me laugh through my tears. It is funny.

When he said it's like when he gets tempted to go play outside without sunscreen, I laughed some more. I used to get mad at him in relentlessly sunny Colorado, every time he became sun-struck after 15 minutes and remained exhausted for the rest of the day. (He is a redhead on more paler side, so he can't really afford to go out without sunscreen - Seattle's rainy/cloudy weather has been heaven for him. It's as if he's allergic to the sun, so sometimes he starts sneezing.) "Why would you forgo putting on sunscreen, when you know this would happen," I'd say. When he responded "Sometimes I think maybe this time it would be OK - that I might get away with it," I felt like it made no logical sense. Now I know exactly how he feels.

Maybe my illnesses came on to teach me to empathize with others better. While I do feel bad that I haven't been much help around the house and we haven't been able to act like normal newlyweds, we smile at the fact this ordeal has brought us closer. I am fortunate to have such an understanding, redhead, husband. :-)
-A

P.S. To those of you who worry about me, I am - truly - sorry.

天候: 曇り・雨, 13°C (3:45 am)
元気度: 2 out of 10 (まだ夜中だけど)

いけないと分かっていてやってしまった。

煙草にはまったことはないけれど、ニコチン中毒になって
禁煙したとしたら、きっとこんな感じなんだろうと思う。

健康にいいと頭では分かっていて一生懸命禁煙して、
でも街中で誰かが吸っているのをすうっと吸い込んだ途端、
戻る体の記憶。 知らない内に指は煙草を挟んでいる・・・

あくまでも想像だけれど。

セリアック病だと診断されてから、出来るだけ肯定的に
とらえてきたつもりだった。
(当初はちょっとの間不公平な、と思ったりしたけれど。)
頭ではグルテン(=小麦=普通の醤油)は食べちゃだめ、と
分かっていたつもり。
でも体はその効果を分かっていなかったらしい。

こんなとき、いい嗅覚は仇になる。
金曜日、医師のところに行った帰り、
お腹がけっこう空いていることに気が付かなかったのが命取り。
歩いていて、ふっと漂ってきたにおいにひかれてしまった。
すぐ先の日本食屋から流れてきたのは、
他ならぬ好物のブルゴギ(漬け汁に醤油入り)の匂い。
(このへんの安い日本食レストランはほとんど韓国人が営んでいるので、
看板の日本食より韓国風焼肉のほうが美味しいことが多い。)

診断を受けてから、焼肉プレートも買って
色々家でブルゴギの真似事をしてみたものの、
やはりプロと比べて味はいまいち。
はっと気付いたときには、もう注文して
テーブルに座っていた。

食べてはいけないという邪さが、
余計にその甘ーい魅力を増したのかも知れない。
そそくさと食べながら考えていたのは、
「少しなら大丈夫かも。 診断がもしかしたら
間違っていたのかも。 大げさにおどかされたのかも。
最近ちょっと前より良くなったし、体の抵抗力が増せば
少しは食べられるのかも。」

そういった、ごまかせる類の体質ではないことは
すぐに分かった。 食した間10分間は至福の時だったけれど、
そのあと2日間(もっと続くかも)は地獄。
久しぶりに、腸が捻れるような、痙攣を伴った、
背中から腕から体中痛みが走る腹痛を味わった。
・・・の上に、今も続く吐き気と関節の痛み。

白旗。 分かりました。
確かにセリアック病で、グルテンは食べたら
死にそうになること。

昔小学生のときか、アメリカンインディアンは体感をつかって
子供にものを教えると聞いたことを思い出す。
例えばストーブが熱いというのを教えるのに、
言ってきかせるのではなく、ひどい火傷をしないよう
注意しながらもわざと近づかせて、触ったら熱くて痛い、
ということを体に教え込むと。
その方がずっと覚えてるだろうな、と感心したものだ。
情けないけれど、大人になった(?)私もそういった
教育が必要だったらしい。

周りのみんなが私のことを心配してくれているのに、
わざわざ自分を痛めつけたことが恥ずかしくて、
穴があったら入りたい気持ち。
具合が悪くなってからこんなに良くしてもらっているのに、と
ダニエルにも申し訳なくてしょうがなかった。

でもお腹をかかえて秘密を保てる筈もなく、
白状して平謝りに謝った。
いつも通り彼は優しくて、状況の中に
ユーモアを見いだしてくれる。

くすくす笑いながら、
「別に僕に謝ることはないけど、
考えるとおかしくって笑っちゃう。
レストランで禁断の果実を前にして、
どきどきしながら座ってる君の姿が目に浮かぶんだもん」
と言われて、泣きながら笑ってしまった。

そして彼が、「僕が日焼け止めを塗らずに外に行くときと
同じだよー」と言うので、さらに笑った。

ダニエルの肌色は赤毛の遺伝子のおかげで色素が少なく、
晴れの日に日焼け止めを塗らずに外に出ようものなら
ものの15分ほどで赤くなって日射病になってしまう。
日光に対するアレルギーのようなもので、
時によってはくしゅんくしゅんくしゃみをしだす。

それなのに標高が高くて空気の薄いコロラドで、
毎日晴れてるのに日焼け止めを塗らずに外に出て、
15分後にぐったり日射病になりその後一日
動けなくなるのを見て、「なんで分かってるのに
塗らないで出たのー」とよく問い詰めたものだ。
「今度は大丈夫かも」って思っちゃうときが
あるんだよねー、と言う彼に、こんなに分かりやすい
ことなのに、といらいらした私。

「今回だけなら大丈夫かも」っていう、
その気持ちがよく分かった。

病気になったのは、人の気持ちがもっと分かるように、
というおぼしめしだったのかも知れない。
家事があまり長時間出来なくて、
新婚らしい生活も出来ていないことは
申し訳ないことだけれど、この体験を通じて
前より近い関係になって私達は笑っている。

・・・理解のある(色白の)主人と結婚できた私は
幸せ者です、ハイ。

P.S. ご心配おかけしている皆様、本当にごめんなさい!

No comments: