Thursday, June 28, 2007

La vita è bella, again - さっき泣いたカラスがもう笑った

Weather: Cloudy/Rain Shower; 66°F
Energy Level: 4 out of 10 (improved!)
Mood: Pretty groovy except for the headache :-/


A night (well, 4 hours) of sleep can do amazing things. (Sorry about the whining yesterday!)

In Japan they say "The crow who was crying moments ago is already smiling" (don't ask me why it's a crow) to describe how human emotions can change so quickly. I'm that crow today; last night everything seemed overwhelming, and today I feel like doors opened up to new opportunities.

I tend believe in subtle signs (mostly when they are working in my favor), and the signs were pointing in a good direction from the start. It's one of those great cloudy days in Seattle. We live atop a coffee shop where my massage therapist/friend Jonathan used to moonlight at, so I stopped in to get him a cappuccino so I can thank him for making me feel good. I figured, what the heck, I'll ask again about their version of chai mix. Low and behold - no "natural flavors!" Morning Glory Chai is made with just tea and spices. Yippie! I can have their chai (with rice milk even) - I'm so glad I didn't chicken out and talk myself out of asking.

Also I was thinking back to the conversation I had with the physical therapist for FMS Research Program, Scully. When I whined about not being able to get chai tea from the coffee shop, he laughed and said, "C'mon, you have to make your own chai from grinding spices with a mortar and pestle!" I have to give it to him - although he is now newly married to a lovely Indian lady, he has apparently been making his own chai for years. I got the instructions, thought about it, and figured it would probably taste better, the experience richer. So when Daniel comes home tonight, I'm starting from grinding whole spices in a mortar and pestle. What a wonderful experience - I probably wouldn't have done such a thing if I didn't have celiac disease. It's almost like it's a blessing.

I mean, what are the chances of talking to someone who is an expert in making your own chai tea right after being denied a generic one? (OK, maybe the chances are bigger in Seattle.) It's a sign.

I think I'm getting signs pointing me to slow down and live a little (not that I wasn't slow before, but since I'm slower than normal folks, even slower). The fact I can't eat out as much? Maybe I should learn how to cook better, be more efficient in the kitchen. (I'm not a very good cook although I'm very good at eating.) After all, we are what we eat. Maybe it's a sign that if I take these steps now and learn how to eat better, I'll have a much better life in the long run.

So I looked into some cooking classes around town. It just so happens we live across a cute boutique kitchen shop called Cook's World, where they offer cooking classes in the back. (And we are Cooks by name!) I think this is all meant to be. If we hadn't lived here, I wouldn't have seen the naturopath who practiced in the same building, and I wouldn't have found out I had celiac disease. And we live across the street from the cooking classes I want to take. How cool is that? Daniel wanted to take it, too, so we will take the classes together starting in July :-)

I got a giant piece of ginger, too, to try to pickle some ginger for sushi. If I can't eat the generic stuff, I figured I'll make some! I bet it'll taste fresher.

My mom sent me some good looking mochi (sweet sticky) rice and red bean paste, so maybe I can make some bean cakes one of these days. That would be another thing I wouldn't have done if I hadn't gotten sick. I'm not saying everything will be peachy all the time; I'm sure I'll hurt a lot some days, but I think my life overall will continue to be richer because of this experience.

Isn't life beautiful? :-)
-A

天候: 曇りときどき雨; 19°C
元気度: 4/10 (上がった!)
気分: 頭痛をのぞけばご機嫌。

いや~、一晩(4時間でも)の睡眠は効くものですねー。
(機嫌がいいとですます調なんだろうか。)
昨日は泣き言を言ってすみませんでした。

よく「さっき泣いたカラスがもう笑った」って言いますが、
私はそのカラスです。 昨夜はなんか小さなことでも大変に感じたのに、
今日はなんだかそのせいで人生が開けたみたい。

私はけっこう神様のおぼしめし(まあいい感じの時はだけど)みたいなのを
信じる方なのですが、今日はなんだか始まり方も良くて、そのせいで
昨日のことさえいいおぼしめしに思えてきました。

今日はシアトルらしい肌に心地よいはな曇りの日。
うちはカフェの上にあるコンドミニアムなのですが、そのカフェで前
私のお世話になっているマッサージ療法士のジョナサンが
副業としてアルバイトをしてたので、今朝マッサージをしてもらう前に、
いつも良くしてくれるお礼に彼の好きなカプチーノでも
持っていってあげようと思い、立ち寄ってみました。

昨日の体験でシュンとしてしまってあきらめることも出来たのですが、
だめもとだ~と思ってこちらのチャイミックスには何が入っているか
聞いてみました。 するとお茶とスパイスだけではありませんか!
(これは参考までにモーニング・グローリー・チャイです。)
やったー。 ここのチャイは(しかもお米からできたライスミルクと共に)
安心して飲めるということです。 臆病にならずに、聞いてみてよかったー。

それと、昨日理学療法士のスカリーと話していたときに、
彼が言っていたことに思いを馳せてみました。 
私が「チャイが飲めなかった~」とぶうぶうのたまうと、「そんなん、
チャイは自分でお湯とスパイスから作らなきゃ駄目だよ!」と笑って
言うのです。 確かに彼はインド人の奥様と結婚してはいるけれど、もっと
10年くらいも前からずっと自分で作っている、というから感心。
作り方を聞いて、考えてみて、スパイスを擂るときのい~い香りを想像し、
きっとそうよね自分でやった方が美味しいし楽しいよね、
と思いスパイスを買ってきたので、今夜ダニエルが帰ってきたら、
すり鉢でスパイスを擂ることから始めて、自分で作ってみます。
(いつもできる訳ではありませんが)なんて素敵な経験なんでしょう。
多分セリアック病だと診断されなければこんなことしていなかったでしょう。
災いというよりこれは福、です。

これだって、ちょっと苦い体験をした後に、ちゃっかりチャイティーの作り方の
エキスパートと話すことが出来たのです。 これもおぼしめし?!
(けっこうシアトルの人ってみんなこういうこと良く知ってはいるんだけどー。)

方向を変えて考えてみると、こんな経験をしているのはきっと
少しスピードを落として周りを見て、生活というものを見直しなさいという
おぼしめしだと思います。 (もともとのろまだから遅いけど、もっと遅く?)

外食がしずらいということも、食を見直しなさいということで、
料理の苦手な私に(食べるのは得意)もう少し能率的にお料理ができるように
なりなさい、ということなのかも知れません。 食は命の糧ですもんね。
今食生活を見直せば、これからの人生長い目で見てもっと良くなるよ、と
いうことだと思います。

ということを考えたので、ときどき性格がB型っぽい私は、昨日からさっそく
近所の料理教室を調べてみました。 ラッキーなことに、お向かいに
調理用品の小さなお店があるのですが、その後ろの部屋で素人向けの
料理教室をやっているのです。 さっそく問い合わせて、ダニエルも
行きたいと言うので、7月から毎週土曜日通うよう2人分予約しました。

考えてみれば、このビルに住んでいなければ下の階で診療所をしていた
自然療法医の先生にかかることも多分ありませんでしたし、それで
セリアック病だと分かることもなかったでしょう。 (ゆくゆくはもっと
具合が悪くなって分かったかも知れないけれど。) 神経にもっと
ダメージを受ける前にそうして分かって、今度はお向かいの
お料理教室に2人で通えるというのです。 なーんて出来た話なんでしょう。

生姜の酢漬けも、市販のものが食べられないなら作ってみる、と思い
大きい生姜を買ってきました。 多分きっと自分で作った方が
新鮮でいいですよね。

母からもち米と餡を送ってもらったので、近々おはぎも作ってみようと
思います。 こんなことも、病気にならなければしなかっただろうと思います。
私の生活は、気分の悪い日が時にはあるにすれ、全体的には
病気になったおかげでこれからますます豊かになるのではないでしょうか。

めげずに生きていくことっていいもんですね。 (^o^)

No comments: