Friday, August 17, 2007

They're almost here! (Easy, girl) - もうすぐ!(どう、どう)

Weather: Sunny/partly cloudy; 68°F
Energy Level: 4 out of 10 (improving!)
Mood: Good!
Health: 3.5 out of 10

↑ The skinny mini tomato plant on
our window sill - grown in a bag!
Got about a dozen mini tomatoes.
I shook it, dad (in Maine) ;-)

My parents are almost here!

It's hard not to get excited, because other than my wedding they've never visited me together, and even then they had to leave while the wedding reception was still going on. (My dad had a meeting to attend back in Tokyo.) I've been dreaming about all the things we could potentially do together - it's hard to
tame myself.

Yesterday I went to see my fibromyalgia doctor, Dr. Marti, and got some boost from IV shots (magnesium, anti-viral, etc.). She's always so chipper and helpful, which seems challenging for someone who see patients who are usually low-energy, tired and in pain day after day - but she manages to be upbeat, explaining your treatment plans. (Come to think of it, I guess most doctors see patients only when they're sick and/or in pain, but chronic illnesses can be certainly more depressing for all parties involved.) Her attitude cheers me up and makes me feel like it's totally possible to get better. I think, especially in certain professions, being chipper is a talent.

I'm always impressed at how well she describes what her patients (e.g. me) might be going through. I was telling her that I've been feeling like I'm trying to get over something and can't (persistent sore throat, chills, and enlarged lymph nodes). She showed me my thyroid test results (free T3 and T4 hormones), and the values are slowly creeping up. My hormones - together with cortisol levels - are getting better, albeit low. Then she said: "For many patients with chronic infections, when their hormone levels are getting better they feel a little more clear-headed, so their mind is more active than before. Then mentally they want to do more and feel ready, but the body is still lagging behind so they pay for it dearly [whenever they do take on more]."

Bingo. Indeed, my "fibro fog" (cognitive dysfunction common in FMS patients - transitory states of confusion, poor attention and concentration, and short-term memory loss) has been much better. So I want to take on more. Then when I do, my body screams.

She also mentioned that with patients with chronic infections like me, the viruses are draining the resources in the body so the rest of it can't get better. My energy is being used up to try to fight the multiplying virus causing the chronic infection, and my hormone levels are still not high enough to finish the job, so the propagation of the virus continues. And my hormone levels can't go up to healthy levels due to the lack of resources, which is being used up to fight the propagating virus. It's a vicious cycle. This is apparently what happens a lot of AIDS patients who die from a secondary infection - they don't die from AIDS, but since their bodily resources are being used up by the AIDS virus and associated chronic infections (such as Epstein-Barr), they can't fight off other secondary infections which sneak up to kill them.

Since immunodeficiency in AIDS patients and FMS/CFS (Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) patients can be similar, approaches to fight chronic infections more aggressively can be similar. They can range from taking certain anti-viral supplements long term (may or may not work and takes a long time; also tricky to absorb), administering anti-viral thymus substance and glycyrrhizinate (commonly known as licorice root, but in a much higher concentration which is impossible to ingest) intravenously (sounds cool but you have to do it often and can get expensive), to intramuscular immunoglobulin (human plasma origin IgG) injections.

I've so far gone the supplements/attempting to correct the hormone levels simultaneously route, thinking more natural/less invasive was better. Apparently it may be time to bring out the big guns, because the first approach isn't working.

The latter (IgG injections) apparently has been shown very effective in AIDS patients. Though, since it's human derived IgG, the risks are not unlike those associated with blood transfusions - even if you screen for everything, they may still find some new disease 20 or 30 years from now that they didn't screen the blood for. But the amount being injected is very little and plasma is sterilized, so the risk is minimal.

It's kind of like my troops and the virus troops are battling it out in my body, and it's at a standstill, with me losing a little bit. (This is better than before, when I was losing completely!) So I need to send in more troops. I'm waiting for my blood test results to decide what to do - in the meantime, I'll try to take it easy.

-A

天候: 晴れところにより曇り; 20°C
元気度: 4/10 (上昇中)
気分: 気持ちだけは元気です。
体調: 3.5/10

両親がもうすぐシアトルに着きます!

子供のようですがわくわくしています。
結婚式に去年の秋出席してもらった以外、一緒に訪ねて来るのは
初めて。 それに結婚式のときも、
父の仕事の都合で披露宴が
終わる前に帰らなければならなかったので、あまり一緒に過ごせません
でした。 みんなで何が出来るかなー、と考えていると、
自分を諌めておとなしくするのが難しいです。


昨日は線維筋痛症の専門医マーティ先生のところに行って、
備えて点滴(栄養、マグネシウム、抗ウイルス)もしてもらいました。
線維筋痛症と慢性疲労症候群の、大抵ぐたーっと疲れて痛がっている
患者と毎日接するのは大変そうですが、それに関わらずいつも明るく、
楽観的、建設的に診療してくださいます。
(考えてみると、殆どのお医者さんは具合が悪いか、痛がっている
患者さんを診る訳ですが・・・。でも慢性の病気ってまわりも疲れますよね。)
彼女に会うたびちょっと元気が出て、「うん、きっと良くなれる!」と
思います。 明るいのも(職業によっては特に)才能ですね。

それといつも感心するのは、患者さんが体験しているであろうことを
実に上手く説明されることです。

ずっと喉とリンパ腺が腫れていて寒気がして、まるで風邪か
インフルエンザとここずーっと戦っているような気分だ、と伝えたところ、
甲状腺ホルモンの検査結果を見せてくださいました。 
FT3または遊離T3、それとFT4または遊離T4
朝の時点でのコルチゾール値と共に数値は少ーしずつ上がっては
いるのですが、数ヶ月投薬して、なかなか健康値にたどり着きません。

そして彼女はこう言いました。
「慢性感染症を併発している患者さんの場合特に、ホルモンのレベルが少し
良くなると頭の雲が晴れてきて、頭がはっきりするのに併せて色々したく
なるんですよねー。 だから精神的には普通に活動したくなって
そうするのだけれど、体がまだついていってないから、出掛けた後なんかに
ひどいツケを支払うことになるんです。」

ドンピシャ大当たり。 確かに私の「ファイブロ・フォグ」(霧がかかったように、
FMS の患者の認知能力が落ちること。一時的に混乱したり、集中
出来なかったり、短期記憶がなくなったりする)は最近少なくなりました。
だからもっと出ていきたいと思って活動すると、体が悲鳴をあげる感じです。

さらに彼女はこうも説明してくれました。
私のようにEBウイルスなどの慢性感染症に苦しめられている場合、
体の中で新陳代謝に使われるエネルギーがウイルスを抑えるのに
使われてしまうので、それ以上のことが出来ない。
ホルモンレベルが普通の人なら自然にウイルスを殺してしまうところ、
甲状腺や副腎機能のレベルが低すぎてウイルスに勝てない。 
そこでウイルスがまた増える。 そこでホルモンのレベルを
正常に戻すはずのエネルギーがまたウイルスに向かってしまう・・・。

絵に描いたような悪循環ですね。

FMS・CFS(線維筋痛症、慢性疲労症候群)の患者と、
エイズの患者はこうした免疫系不全になるパターンが非常に
似ているそうで、これでエイズ患者はやられてしまうそうです。
エイズ自体では死なないのだけれど、代謝に必要なエネルギーが
エイズやEBウイルスに向かっていくのに使われてしまっていて、
ひょい、とやって来た他の感染症にやられてしまう。
おお火事だ、とよそ見(集中?)していて、後ろからバットで
殴られるようなものですね。

エイズ患者とFMS・CFS患者の免疫不全のパターンは
ほとんど同じなので、慢性感染症を抜け出すのにも、同じような
治療法が役立つそうです。

手段としてはいくつかあって、
  1. 免疫系のサポートになるようなサプリ(漢方系含む)を集中的に
    何ヶ月か飲む(吸収の程度が分からないので効果があるかは
    個人的に大きな差があり時間がかかる)
  2. 胸腺に関わる(T細胞を増やす)抗ウイルス性のある成分と
    濃縮した(飲んだら消化出来ない)カンゾウエキスなどを点滴する
    (ちょっと効くけれど頻繁にする必要がありコストがかかる)
  3. 寄付された血漿からとった人免疫グロブリン(IgG)を注射する
・・・など。 これまで、 1. と、ホルモンを投薬してサポートし
正常に戻そうとしてきましたが、ちょっと馬力が足りないようで、
らちがあきません。

3. の注射はエイズ患者の治療に大変効果があるそうです。 
ただ、ひとが寄付してくれた血漿からとるものなので、
輸血するのと同じでほんの少しリスクがあります。
いま現在分かっている感染症に関してはすべて検査をして通った
血漿ですが、20年、30年後に「あっ、こんな病気もあった」と
気付くことがあり得るからです。 ただし、注射する量は
ごく少量で血漿は念入りに消毒されているので、感染リスクは
小さいとのこと。

体の中で、ウイルスの軍隊と私自身の軍隊が戦争をしていて、
どっちもそっちも行かない状態だけれどちょっと私の方が
負けている、のでもう少し援軍を送る必要がある、というような
ところでしょうか。 (でも前は完全に負けていたので、状況は
改善していると言えるでしょう。)
EBウイルスの再検査の結果を待って、どうするか決めます。

とりあえずその間、張り切り過ぎずおとなしくしていようと思います。。。

-英

No comments: