Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Gettin' used to feeling chunky - 自分のずんぐりした姿に慣れること。

Weather: Cloudy; 62°F - but in the 70s during the day
Energy Level: 3.5 out of 10
Mood: Still yo-yo'ing
Health: Better than the last time I wrote, but tired from the weekend

↑ Tiffany & Andy's deck -
right in the smack middle of Genesee Park,
where SeaFair was! Blue Angels were coming
right at us. No kidding. Really.

Maybe I'm being vain, but I can't help being a girl. I totally feel chunky.

Let me back up a little. This past weekend was great fun, because Chris and Ian, our friends from Colorado (although Chris lives in Burbank, CA now) were visiting to attend a friend's wedding here in Seattle. Ruth, Chris's lovely wife, was supposed to be here too, but a glitch in her pregnancy prevented her from coming :-( She's feeling OK, but please send some good energy in the direction of Southern California!

So among other things, we got to visit with the familiar faces from Colorado. We hadn't seen Tiffany and Andy (who also moved to Seattle) forever, at least not since they bought their house, and we got to do a brunch at their place. I was happy because I was dying to get something for their housewarming. Among other little things, I found a "Foot in the Door" door stopper, which you can see a bit of in the picture.

It was great to socialize and soak up some sun. I realized I must be more extroverted than I previously thought - having (good) people around really cheered me up.
I realized, even if I wasn't feeling completely up to it physically (hence the mountain of pillows I brought to alleviate pain), I should go ahead and try to socialize.

Being a good, responsible man that he is, Chris already sent us the online picture album of his trip to Seattle, which included the picture above among others.

I really enjoyed the pictures, so I really don't want Chris to feel bad about sending them around. But I must admit, it was kind of hard to see myself kind of out of it, sickly, and chunky.

I've had a sneaky suspicion that I was getting a little heavier, because my jeans have been tighter. (We don't own a scale.) I've been having thyroid dysfunction which makes me retain more water, but I don't think that's the main issue. It's the low activity level with the same amount of appetite (which I seem to have no problem with - even when I'm sick I can eat).

This realization was also aided by the fact that I ordered a sweater dress in size XS in the mail (since I was too dizzy to go shopping), tried it on, and had to take it off right away when I realized I no longer fit comfortably in extra small.

Some of you reading this in the U.S. (where I believe the average size is 10-12) might say "What's the big deal?! You went from a size 2 to a 4," but I must tell you, I don't have the height or big enough bone structure to support the extra weight. What might look like 5 pounds on you would look like 10 or 15 on me. Coming from a land of tiny women, stepping into the present day American size 4 (which is apparently about 2 or 3 sizes bigger than the size 4 in the 50s/60s, BTW) means I became a Japanese size L from M.

I've never been one of those people with great metabolism to begin with, so I've always had to work pretty hard to maintain the feel-good weight. (Also I became really heavy when I first came to an American high school as an exchange student, so I had to really work off the weight.) It works when I'm able do that. Right now, I can't. I've been walking/biking at least 3-4 times a week since I joined the FMS Research Program, but that's apparently not enough, considering my metabolism has slowed down and I'm sedentary the rest of the time. I've been itching to go running, but if I did, that would put me out of commission for days, which would negate the whole point of running.

I also have a very (brutally) honest husband who can't lie, which is usually a good thing. Upon being asked, "I've become a little chunky, huh," his response was at first silent, then, "...you haven't been able to be as active, so..." He then hastily added, "You are still beautiful to me and that's what's important! And you need to feel healthy first!"

(Even if it were a white lie, if he had said something like "Not at all! You're probably bloated!" I probably could have slept more.)

...I appreciate his nice(?) thought, and yes, it's true, I need to feel healthy first. I feel like I am getting better little by little, so that is probably possible. Yet, late at night (especially after a setback), sometimes I lay awake and wonder: "What if this is as good as it gets?" (It's like that movie.)

And such nights make me want to eat my gluten-, dairy-, and egg-free chocolate cookies. (Yes, such a thing exists, available for purchase. Who knew?) Aggghhh. But since I'm making my thoughts (semi) public, I won't this time. Maybe this is the benefit of a blog :D

-A

P.S. I broke down and ate some rice crackers. Hey, at least they seem less fatty. :P

天候:  曇り。 17°C (日中はもっとあったかいです。)
元気度: 3.5/10
気分: まだちょっと、行ったり来たり
体調: 疲れてるけどすぐ前のポストよりずっとまし。


↑ R2-D2の郵便ポスト!
Awesome R2-D2 mailbox, n'est-ce pas?

自意識過剰と思われるかも知れませんが、女心と笑ってください。
ぽっちゃりしてきたのが気になってしょうがありません。

ちょっと時間を遡って補足すると・・・。

コロラドのお友達が何人か、結婚式に出席するため訪ねて来ていたので、
先週末は非常に楽しい週末でした。

いくつか一緒に行動できた中で特に嬉しかったのは、
他のコロラドから越してきたお友達にも何人か会えたこと。

シアトルで毎年ある、
ボートレースや航空ショーを含めたお祭り騒ぎ、
シーフェアーの会場になる公園のまん前に住んでいる
ティファニーとアンディの家に行って、みんなでブランチをしました。

少し日に当たって、お友達に会うのはいいことだと実感しました。
ちょっと疲れて体中痛かったので枕やクッションを一杯持参したのですが、
それでも、人に接するのは気分が盛り上がっていいもんだ、と
思いました。 自分ではどちらかというと内向的な性格かと
考えていたのですが、思ったより実は外交的なのかも知れません。

写真を撮ったクリスはとっても頼りになる実直な人なので、
例にもれず、帰って1日しか経たないのにもう写真をオンラインアルバムで
送ってくれました。

写真をいろいろ見るのは楽しかったのですが、
いやはや、ぽーっとして具合が悪そうな、ぽっちゃりした自分を見るのは
つらいものですねー。

ジーンズがちょっときつかったりしたので、前々からちょっと太ったかなー、と
思ってはいたのですが・・・。 (体重計は持たない主義)

甲状腺機能が低下(と言うんだろうか)しているとかで、多分むくみます、とは
言われていたのですが、そういう次元の問題ではなく太ったと思います。
運動不足と、変わらない食欲が原因でしょう。
(具合が悪くてもお腹は減るんですよねー、これが。)

めまいがしてショッピングに行けなかったので、
メールオーダーで頼んだニットワンピースがちょうど今日届いたのも
災いしました。 XS を頼んだのですが、着てみてぎょっとしたので
すぐに脱がざるを得ませんでした。

(日本で読んでいる方、ご存知でしょうがアメリカのサイズは
ばかでかいので、S の域に入ると日本では
L だと思います。)

昔から新陳代謝が良い体質ではないので、それなりの体重を維持するのに
かなり努力してきました。 (それにアメリカに高校のとき留学して来た際、
どーんと太ってしまったので、それを必死に落とさなければいけませんでした。)

その努力、運動が出来ればいいのですが。
いまの状態では、はっきり言って出来ません。

線維筋痛症の治療法研究グループに参加して以来、
週に3~4回は痛くても30分以上歩いたり自転車に乗ろうと努力して
いますが、その他の時間はおとなしくしているので、どうしても
足りないのでしょう。 新陳代謝は余計悪くなっているし。
走りに行きたくてここのところむずむずしているのですが、
行ったらきっと3~4日はダウンしてしまいそうです。
そうすると元も個もないし。

幸か不幸か、私の主人は全く嘘のつけない性質です。
(普段はそれがいいんだけど、悪く言えば融通が利かない。)
「私、やっぱり最近太ったよね」と聞くと、「・・・」と返事がすぐ返って来ません。
そして、「・・・あんまり今活動的な生活が出来ないから、しょうがないよ。」と
言うのです。 (漫画だったら、ここで涙がダーッと出るところ。
「そんなことはないよ、君は充分魅力的さっ」とか言ってくれれば
眠れたものをー。) その後に慌てて、「それでも君は僕にとっては
美しいから! 健康になるのが第一だし!」と。

うーん、慰めてくれてるんだか落ち込ませようとしてるんだか。
(前者だとは思うけど。) そうね、回復するのが第一よね、とは
思いますです、ハイ。 でも、こんな眠れないとき(特に調子を崩してるとき)、
目が冴えながら、「これ以上良くならなかったら~?」と悩んでしまうのです。
(元気なときと同じ量食べなきゃいいのか。)

そしてこんな夜、グルテンフリー、乳抜き、卵抜きのチョコクッキー
(あるんですよこれが。 買うなよって?)食べたくなってしまうのです。 
しょーもない。

でも、そんな考えを公にしてしまったので、食べないことにしようっと。
これがブログのメリットかも。 チャン、チャン (*^_^*)

-英

P.S. 誘惑に負けて米しょうゆを使ったおせんべいを食べてしまった・・・。
   でもクッキーより脂肪分は少ないよね?!

1 comment:

Daniel Cook said...

Big hugs!

Balance is hard, but you are doing great. The cherry tomatoes are growing redder by the day and the flowers are still blooming.

Every month things have been a little better. :-)

Love,
Daniel.

PS: The dress...nice color, weird sleeves. Sometimes the girl is better than the clothes...it is a truth of Shopping.