Friday, July 27, 2007

Pain + Martinelli's = Happiness - 痛み + マーティネリ = 幸せ。

Weather: Another lovely sunny day in Seattle! 69°F
Energy Level: 3 out of 10 (hmm.)
Mood: Pretty good, actually
Health: Still a little dizzy, and... read on.

↑ Now (memory in the making)

I'm a lucky, lucky girl with a very nice husband. Currently this girl is learning to pace herself.

I woke up feeling like someone beat me up with a stick during the night (I don't think Daniel did that - I didn't find a stick anywhere) and I'd completed a triathlon without properly training for it. (Normally I wake up feeling like I'd completed a marathon without completely training for it, which I have done in real life. I've never completed a triathlon, but you get the gist -I'm assuming it hurts more than a marathon.)

With a very painful throat, I looked in there to see if I'd gotten a strep or something. While I didn't see white spots in the back of the throat, there were little red spots like bug bites everywhere. Eek.

This may be due to the fact I sat out in the open to count traffic for Cascade Bicycle Club yesterday for a couple of hours. They are advocating for the original Seattle Bicycle Master Plan, some of which could crumble under some pressure from a minority of local businesses in Fremont, by providing the city with a more current and accurate traffic count/traffic makeup (what % is industrial trucks, passenger cars, bicycles, pedestrians, etc.). So they needed volunteers to count the rush hour traffic.

(If you live in Seattle area and want a safer city for alternative transportation options, contact the Mayor here!)

I'd been dying for a chance to volunteer to contribute to the community in some way, because while I've been sick, I felt like I was not contributing to the society.

The condition probably could not have been much better. It was a pleasant sunny weather in the 70s yesterday, but in the last 30 minutes of the rush hour, the street corner I was sitting on turned into a complete shade and I got chilled.

I've been trying to get over a chronic Epstein-Barr virus (mono virus) infection for the last 5-6 months or so - maybe I wasn't ready to be out in the open that long. Crap.

I stumbled back home, totally cold and dizzy from following numerous cars on the road with my eyes. (I didn't think it would be all that bad, sitting there and counting traffic, but holding up the clipboard and counting hundreds of cars zipping through the intersection were not easy for the current version of me.) Now, although it's 75 degrees in our place, I'm in the long warm alpaca wool sweater Daniel got me from Peru, complete with L.L. Bean slipper socks. Oh well.

So this morning I called a nurse, who recommended a wait-and-see approach for now, with warm salt water gargling and soft diet (chicken broth, warm apple juice, etc.) for the day. Upon hearing this Daniel jumped to the occasion, ran (or walked) to the nearby store and brought me back organic chicken stock and Martinelli's cider - all before going to work!

(Now as I write this, I'm finding myself a little annoying... sorry Daniel.)

↑ Then (sweet memories)

Martinelli's juice holds a special place in my heart, because my mom used to buy the little 10 oz. round bottle (which was completely overpriced and totally expensive, being an import, and dollar used to be much more expensive against yen) when we were younger, and my brother and I used to share one. It was sweet like no apple juice in Japan (they tend to make Japanese apple juices with more tang - different species of apple - which I now like). It was like drinking honey, and when we had one it was a big treat. (I now dilute it with water, because it's almost too sweet as is!)

Bonus: Martinelli's web site's FAQ section states that "all of the products that Martinelli's manufactures are gluten-free." Yeah!

Wow, now I have a giant bottle of Martinelli's. I have such a nice husband. :-)))

-A

Resources:
Some allege backpedaling with changes to bike plan (Seattle Times article - clever wording, no?)
Changing Lanes: Business Leader Kills Stone Way Bike Lane (Stranger article)


(水曜日には疲れてたのと、地域のことに関する考えだったこともあり
日本語にしなくてごめんなさーい。)

天候: またもや晴れ! 21°C
元気度: 3/10
気分: けっこう気分はいいです。
体調: まだちょっとめまい中~。

私は優しいだんな様がいて幸せ者です。。。

自分の現在のペースがどんなもの(であるべき)なのか学び中。

今日起きたところ、寝てる間に袋叩きにされたか、
(バットも見あたらないし、されなかったと思う)
ちゃんと筋トレせずにトライアスロンでもしてみたような
痛みでした~。

(ちゃんとトレーニングせずにマラソンを走ってみたことは
あるものの、トライアスロンをしたことはありません。
普段は筋トレせずにマラソンでもしたような感じなのが、
もう一段階ひどかった、ということ。)

で、あまりに喉が痛かったので、ちょっと口の奥をのぞいてみました。
連鎖球菌性咽頭炎のときのように白い斑点はなかったものの、
虫刺されみたいに赤い点々が奥にいっぱい。 いや~ん。

昨日外に座って2時間ほど交通量の調査を手伝ったせいかも
知れません。 シアトルでは自転車、歩行者がもっと安全に移動しやすく
なるよう都市計画を立てていたのですが、少数の反対意見のおかげで
計画の一部がチャラになりそうなので、地元の自転車クラブ、
カスケード・バイシクル・クラブが中心となって
正確な交通量を把握して元の計画を支持しようとしているのです。
そこで、ラッシュアワーに商用トラック、乗用車、自転車、歩行者の
交通量を数えるボランティアを募集していたのでした。

(シアトル近辺に住んでいる方で、車の渋滞を減らして
交通手段を増やすのに安全な地域にしたいと思われる方がいらしたら
ここから市長にメールして下さい!)

のほほ~んと病気しているだけでいると全然社会貢献をしてないようで
焦ってしまい、地域の為に何かボランティアした~いとずっと
思っていたので、2時間だけということで飛びついたのでした。

多分気候などはこの上ない状態だったと思います。
寒くもなく暑くもない、風もあまりない晴れの日でした。
でもラッシュアワーの最後の30分、座っていた角が
日陰になって冷えてしまったようです。

ここ5~6ヶ月、EBウイルス(単核症のウイルス)の慢性感染症から
抜け出そうとしているのですが、ちょっと気分が良くなったので
油断しました。 外に2時間座るのはまだ時期尚早だったかも。

座って交通量を調査するだけならそんなに悪くないよね、と思って
参加したのですが、ラッシュアワーの車が何百とびゅんびゅん過ぎるのを
目で追って数えて、終わったときには目まいクラクラで寒気が満開、
クリップボードを持った腕はじんじん痛くなってしまいました。
家の中は今24度くらいですが、ダニエルがペルーで買ってきてくれた
あったかいアルパカのセーターと、LLビーンの毛糸の靴下スリッパ
着こんでこれを書いています。 反省。

という訳で今朝看護婦さんとお話したところ、暖かい塩水でうがいをしつつ、
チキンスープや暖かくしたりんごジュースなどを飲んで固形物は食べず、
しばらく様子を見ましょう、ということでした。
これを聞いて、すぐ行動に出たダニエル。
近所の店に駆けつけ(歩いて)、仕事に出る前に、
チキンスープとマーティネリのジュースを買ってきてくれました!

(私って迷惑なやつ、とちょっと自己嫌悪。 ダニエルごめんね。)

その昔、(歳がばれますね)ドルがまだ規制されていてとんでもなく
高かった頃、輸入品ということで日本のジュースより何倍も高かった、
丸いかわいい瓶に入ったマーティネリのジュースを時たま母に
三浦屋で買ってもらって、兄と半分ずつ分けたものです。
蜂蜜のように甘いそのジュースは私達にはご馳走でした。
(無論こっちではもっと安い。 今は甘すぎて水で薄めています。
年を追うにつれ日本の甘酸っぱいりんごジュースも好きになりました。)
その思い出があって、マーティネリは今でも大好きです。

それに、マーティネリのホームページ、「良くある質問」の中で、
「マーティネリの製品は全てグルテンフリーです」と書いてあります
やったー。

という訳で、大きなマーティネリのジュースがある今日。
優しいだんな様がいてくれて良かった。 (^_^)

-英

関連記事:
Some allege backpedaling with changes to bike plan (シアトルタイムス)
Changing Lanes: Business Leader Kills Stone Way Bike Lane (ストレンジャー)

No comments: