Monday, July 16, 2007

Deer in the headlights - 真夏(?)の立ちすくみ

Weather: Partly Cloudy; 73°F
Energy Level: 3 out of 10
Mood: Not sure - mostly dizzy!

↑ The back of the great shirt
my lovely sis-in-law
Nire made for me -
shown with our mini-Uglydog
(Scroll down to see the front below!)

(Yes, for those of you who didn't know, I did cut my hair really short - mostly so I don't have to hold up the hair dryer when my body hurts. I figured simplifying my life was in order.)

I've sort of been feeling like a deer in the headlights every time I open my eyes.

There have been lots of things I've wanted to write about, but it's been difficult, mostly because I've been so dizzy and light-sensitive. Facing a computer screen makes me kind of nauseous - it's too bright, even after turning down the brightness. Daniel and I were trying to walk outside yesterday, and I was saying the bright light was making me dizzier. Daniel, who usually is the one who detests a bright sunny weather, was informing me: "Um, it's really not that bright. It's actually pretty cloudy." It felt like the sidewalk was a mirror reflecting the bright sunshine.

I feel a little hopeless if I can't handle Seattle's cloudy skies... :-) Apparently, the hot(-ish - it's really not that hot compared to what it might be in Colorado or Tokyo or Texas) weather and my fibromyalgia/improving celiac disease don't really get along. My body is acting a bit crazy; my feet and hands would be throbbing with stabbing pain, feeling hot and swollen one minute, and another minute my feet would be purple and cold. I'm starting to understand how sick old people sometimes kind of give up and die in a hot weather. It's really exhausting.

Emotionally it's been like a roller coaster ride this past week - I've had lots of self-doubts because of this dizziness. (One day last week I was trying to drive myself to the doctor's office while feeling dizzy/weak, and bumped into a parked car behind me in the parking garage, which made me doubt my ability to get around. The car's owner turned out to be a naturopath who practices in the building and was completely nice about it.) At the end of the week, though, I was thankful of many things, of how lucky I am. So I wanted to write about things like the incredible care package I received from Nire (a.k.a. Erin - my little sis-in-law who is beautiful inside and out), the cooking class I went to with Daniel, the great ensuing meals we've had, our new electricity-assisted bike, etc., but couldn't. This post took me a whole day to write and I'm still dizzy, so those fun posts will have to wait till another time...
-A

↑ The front of the shirt.
The picture is made up of nature photos Nire's taken -
isn't she talented? The middle looks like a tiger to me.

義妹のエリンちゃんが作ってくれたシャツ。
彼女が撮ったお花や植物の写真のコラージュです。
真ん中のお花の中心が虎の顔に見えませんか?
(着てるところを彼女に見せたかったので、
ずん胴!は無視してくださいね。)

天候: 曇り; 23°C
元気度: 3/10
気分: めまいがしてよく分からない・・・。

(ドライヤーを持って髪を乾かすのがちょっと辛かったので、
髪をワカメちゃんみたく切ってみました。 天パの為、こうでもしないと
ブローしない場合頭が爆発!するので・・・)

よく英語で、like a deer in the headlights、車のヘッドライトに照らされて、
動きが止まった鹿のように立ちすくむ、身動きが取れなくなると言いますが、
ここ一週間ほど目を開けるたびそんな感じです。

いろいろ書きたいことがあったのですが、めまいがしてグラグラして、
何を見ても眩しい感じだったので、スクリーンを一番暗くしても
コンピューターに向かうともっとクラクラして気持ち悪くなってしまって
駄目でした。 きのう曇っている中ちょっと歩こうと出かけたのですが、
普段は晴れの日が嫌いなダニエルの方が「結構曇ってて暗いよー」と
言うにも拘らず、コンクリートの歩道が光を反射するレフ版になったよう。

うーん、シアトルの曇り空で眩しいとなると、心細いですね (^_^)
暑い夏の天気(とは言えコロラドとか東京とかテキサスとかと比べると
あんまり暑いとも言えない)と線維筋痛症・回復期セリアック病とは
相性がどうも良くないようです。 体が熱くなったり寒くなったり、
足が熱く腫れてる感じでちくちくずきずき痛いかと思えば、
ふと気付くと足が冷たく青紫だったり。
よく暑い季節になると具合の悪かったお年寄りが
コテンと亡くなってしまったりしますが、そういう気持ちが
(ちょっと)わかる感じです。 暑いってもともと弱ってると
とんでもなく疲れるものなのですねー。

先週、めまいがしている時に医者に行くのに車を出そうとした所
後ろに駐車してあった車にちょっとぶつけてしまったりしたもので、
(持ち主はこのビルにオフィスのあるお医者様で優しかった。
どうもすみませんでした) 情けなくなって
「はあ、自分で移動できないのかしら~」と思ったりして
自信喪失したのですが、全体的には、ほんとに私ってラッキー、
幸せ者よね、と思う出来事がいっぱいありました。

義妹のエリンちゃんが作って送ってくれた小包や、
ダニエルと行ったお料理教室、美味しく食べられた食事、
新しく買った電動ハイブリッド自転車(日本のみたいに
かわいくはないけれど)のことなど、いろいろ書きたかったのですが、
ちょっと無理でした・・・、と書くのに一日かかってしまって
まだくるくるちょっとめまいがするので、
また書きますね~。

-英

No comments: