Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Does Michael Jackson have fibromyalgia?! - マイケル・ジャクソンは線維筋痛症かも?!

Weather: Was cloudy, but sunny right now! 64°F
Energy Level: 3 out of 10 (hovering low...)
Mood: 4/10
Health: 3/10 (achy all over, but the IV made it a little better)


Went to get the first of immunogobulin shots, an anti-viral IV, and a muscle-relaxing/pain-reducing IV today. (A week late because of some nurse shortage at the clinic.) Depending on how I tolerate it, we'll determine how often we'll do an immunoglobulin injection therapy. Hopefully this will help me kick out the chronic infections.

The Fibromyalgia & Fatigue Center is a fragrance-free clinic, meaning they ask you not to wear any perfume. For those readers who don't have fibromyalgia, I should explain that fibromyalgia tends to heighten senses, including smell, so fibromyalgia patients often react badly to perfumes (headache, nausea, etc.).

I've always been sensitive to smells (for a long time when I was little I couldn't fall asleep without a towel acting as a filter), but I used to be able to wear certain perfumes. Nowadays, I can wear almost none--some made with natural essential oils can be OK on good days, but even then those I can tolerate are few and far in between. Chemically produced ones are certainly out.

I was merrily sitting in a reclining chair getting an IV today, and a smell hit me. It was faint that it could've been a scented lotion, but I came down with a massive headache and nausea.

Luckily I had a scarf around my neck and a blanket, so I covered up my face. At first I didn't want to say anything, because I didn't want anyone to feel bad--but I was obviously distressed, so my nurse asked me what was wrong. I confessed, and it got a little better after a while. I think it was the new nurse's lotion.

For a few minutes I couldn't hold back my tears that kept falling from my eyes. I was thinking: Why do I have to be so darn sensitive? Can't I go anywhere without getting sick? (Sometimes I run into a cosmetic section of a store, which tend to be really stinky, get what I want, and run out--most of the time I shop online.) Then after about five minutes, I got over feeling sorry for myself. Who am I kidding? It's kind of like being pregnant. My life is really not bad--pretty nice, in fact.

Then I started wondering: What if Michael Jackson has fibromyalgia? Could that be the explanation for those masks he wears (which match his outfits)? Maybe he gets sick from smelling things. All these years he's been treated like he's eccentric for wearing them. (I suppose there were other eccentricities, too, but those aside.) I suddenly felt bad for him.

Of course, there could be other reasons why he wears a mask. Maybe he doesn't want to catch a disease or something. Next time when you see him, though, please be kind about his mask.

-A

天候: 曇ってたのが今は晴れ! 17°C
元気度(勢い): 3/10 (低空飛行中・・・)
気分: 4/10
体調: 3/10 (全身ひどく痛かったけれど、点滴で少し良くなった!)

一回目の人免疫グロブリン(IgG)の注射と、抗ウィルスの点滴、
それと線維・筋肉をリラックスさせて痛みを和らげる点滴を
しに行きました。 (看護婦さんの人手が足りなかったとかで
一週間遅れた。) 反応によって、どの位の間隔で注射を
続けていくか頻度を決めるそうです。 これに助けられて
慢性感染状態から抜け出せるといいな。

線維筋痛症のクリニックはフレグランス・フリーのクリニックなので、
患者さんは香水などつけないで来てください、と言われて
います。 ここで線維筋痛症を患ってない方に一言補足を
させて頂くと、線維筋痛症になると嗅覚も含めて
いろいろな感覚が非常に敏感になるので、患者が
香水などを嗅ぐと具合が悪くなることが多いのです。
(偏頭痛や悪心など。)

昔から鼻は利いたほうですが(小さい頃は一時期タオルを
フィルター代わりに鼻と口にあてないと眠れなかったし)、
以前は特定の香水ならつけられました。
最近はほとんどダメです。 自然のエッセンシャルオイルで
作ったもので数種類、気分のいいときだけつけられるものは
ありますが、そういう機会もなかなかありません。
化学合成で作ったものは必ずと言っていいほどだめ。

今日ゆったり点滴を受けていたところ、そんな香りが鼻に
潜入してきました。 そんなに強い香りではなかったので、
香り付きのハンドローションかも知れません。 
すぐに頭が割れるような頭痛と吐き気がおそってきました。

幸運なことに首にスカーフを巻いていたのと毛布を
かけてもらっていたので、それをフィルターにしようと
顔に引き上げてみましたが止まりません。

近くの人に悪かったと思わせたくはなかったので
最初は黙っていましたが、明らかに気分が悪くなったのを
見てとって看護婦さんにどうしたのか聞かれ、
白状してしまいました。

しばらくして部屋の香りが薄れました。
新しい看護婦さんのつけたローションだったのかも。

数分間、情けなくなってぽろぽろ涙が出てしまいました。
考えていたのは、「なんでこんな敏感じゃなきゃいけないの?
どこにも行けないじゃないこんなことじゃ!」というようなこと。
(化粧品売り場などは現に大抵ダダーッと入って、買うものを
買って走って出るし、殆どの買い物は最近オンラインだし。)

でも5分ほどして、「何ぜいたく言ってんのよ」と立ち直りました。
妊娠したらこういうことが多いって聞いたし、快適な暮らしも
させて頂いてるし。 頭の中で、「いい人生じゃないのー、
アホな役に立たないことを考えるのはやめなさーい」と。

それで関係ない(くだらない?)ことを考え始めました。
マイケル・ジャクソンは、もしかして線維筋痛症なのか?!
それがあの、いつもかぶっている(そしてしっかりお洋服と
合ってる)マスクの原因なのでは・・・。

あのマスクのせいで変わり者みたいにずっと言われて
きたけど、いろいろ嗅ぐと具合が悪くなるのかも。
(変わり者と言われるのは他の原因もあるだろうが。。。)
なんだか可哀相に思えてきました。

まあ勝手に考えてますが、他の理由でマスクを
つけてるのかもね~、変な病気をもらいたくないとか。
でも、今度彼を見たら、優しい気持ちでマスクを
見てあげてくださいね。

-英

No comments: