Sunday, September 9, 2007

Aki Matsuri (Fall Festival) 2007! - 秋祭り 2007!

Weather: Sunny; 61°F (It's 61 in Fahrenheit and 16 in Celsius - backwards! Isn't that cool?)
Energy Level: 2.5 out of 10
Mood: 3/10
Health: 2.5/10
This weekend is Eastside Aki Matsuri (Aki = fall, Matsuri = festival), the local Japanese fall festival which is in its 10th year! We got involved with the organization shortly after we moved here. I've managed to talk Daniel into doing the poster/T-shirt/program artwork for the organization with my rudimentary art direction, so his artwork is all over town and now people are wearing them! How exciting.

I've always loved festivals, and I get excited. How can you not? There are drums, songs, dances, games, a beautiful tea house constructed, food (although I can't eat much of it now), and all sorts of people and kids. It's kind of hard to rein in myself.

Having felt badly I couldn't contribute more during the past year, I was determined to volunteer at least some yesterday. The day before I wasn't feeling all that well so Daniel was skeptical if I'd make it, but miraculously, I woke up feeling OK. The plan was that Daniel would volunteer at the T-shirt sale booth for the afternoon, with me providing "morale support" (i.e. taking frequent breaks).

It was fun telling people about our design and the symbolism involved - I was too excited to share Daniel's work with the world. Predictably (although I really meant to take breaks), I didn't take much break. As a result, all my limbs (down to my palms, under nails, finger pads and toes) and back feel like someone's inserting needles into them. And I'm back to being dizzy. Oops. (My legs were swelling so bad my really loose socks' elastics were digging in about 1/4 inch all around - which didn't rebound after taking a bath, massaging, etc. - felt like an old lady.)

What I found hard was that people kept telling me I looked to be doing great. Perhaps it was meant to be a compliment, but I didn't know how to respond when someone said, "I'm glad! You look like you're doing just fine!" How do I respond to that? I didn't want to tell them, "Well, it hurts just standing here talking to you." I don't want any pity-fest, or make people feel bad. So I just smiled and said, "Thank you, I'm getting better." This made me feel like I'd be just plain lazy if I wasn't working. I need to learn to be more selfish if I wanted to get better.

I feel badly that I'm not there again today - my heart wants to be there day and night, helping out. I guess by trying to get better I'd be able to help out future causes. For now, I need to recover from yesterday.

-A

P.S. If anyone reads this in Seattle/Eastside today, head to Bellevue Community College!
More info: Eastside Nihon Matsuri Association

天候: 晴れ 16°C
元気度(勢い): 2.5/10 
気分: 3/10
体調: 2.5/10

今週末2日間は、地域の方に日本文化とお祭りを楽しんで
いただける第十回イーストサイド秋祭りです。
引っ越してきてほどなくまとめ役の方々にお会いして、
お手伝いをさせて頂いています。 (といっても私はあまり
出来ていないけれど。) ダニエルに頼んでポスター、
Tシャツ、プログラムのデザインを手伝ってもらったので、
街中に彼のデザインが貼ってあり、昨日からはみんなが
着て歩いています。 嬉しーい。

昔からお祭り好きなので、わくわくしてしまいます。
太鼓に、踊りにゲーム、仮設したデモ用の素敵な茶室、
食べ物(殆ど食べられないけど)に、子供が駆け回る人ごみ。
自分の手綱を引いておとなしくしているのは難しいです。

昨年中全くと言っていいほどお手伝いが出来ず悪ーいと
思っていたので、体調がどうであれ初日ちょっとはボランティアする
心づもりでした。 前日あまり体調が良くなかったのでダニエルは
「来なくていいよー」と言っていたのですが、奇跡的(?)に当日
起きた当初は悪くない気分! プランとしては、ダニエルが
午後Tシャツを売るブースでボランティアするのをサイドラインから
サポートする(休憩を頻繁にとる)という予定だったのですが・・・。

ダニエルの描いた絵の意味の説明や、来ていただいたお客様と
お話するのに夢中になって、ついついあまり休憩せずに時間が
過ぎてしまいました。 その結果、手のひら、爪の下、指先、
爪先にいたるまで手足、さらには背中も、誰かが針を刺して
くれてるような感触です。 そしてクラクラ。 ウップス。
(足はむくんでしまって、ゆるーい靴下を履いていったにも
関わらず5ミリくらいくいこんだ痕がお風呂に入ろうがマッサージ
しようが取れなかった。。。 おばあさんかいな私は。)

困ったのは、会う人会う人に「良かった、お元気そうで」と
言われたこと。 ほめ言葉(?)なのかも知れないのですが、
なんて答えたらいいんでしょう? 哀れみを受けたくはないし、
悪いと思わせたくもないので、「うーん、ここに立って話してるのも
痛くて辛いんですけど」とは言えないし。 笑って、「はあ、
お陰さまでだんだん良くなってきました」と言うしかありません。

でもそう言うと、なんだか働かなかったら怠け者、みたいな
気分に駆られてしまいました。 良くなる為には、わがままになるのを
覚えないといけないのかも。

今日もお手伝いできなくて申し訳ないです。
気持ちとしては、朝から晩までお手伝いしたいんだけど。
良くなろうとすることで将来のお手伝いができる、と
思うしかありません。 今のところ、昨日のダメージから
回復しようとするのがやっとです。

-英

P.S. シアトル近郊に住んでらっしゃる方がこれを今日読んだら、
良かったらベルビューコミュニティカレッジに行ってみてください。
ヨーヨー釣りなどできます。
詳細: Eastside Nihon Matsuri Association

No comments: