Wednesday, February 18, 2009

I ate GF delivery pizza! (& didn't get sick!)

This is my 100th post on this blog! Hooray!

For those of you who were wondering if I was alive, I am... I'm trying to get used to sleeping with a machine that puffs air up my nostrils. (Which has been taking away my sleep, which in turn makes me hurt more and be tired.) The hope is such that it will, eventually, improve my health. I shall explain more in another post.

Right now, I'm excited about having had pizza on Valentine's Day!


Having delivery pizza may not seem like the most romantic Valentine's date, but for us, it was the ultimate luxury... A few companies like Bob's Red Mill and Ener-G make gluten-free pizza crust mix/pre-made shells, but GF delivery pizzas are still few and far in between. I once went to pick up a GF + egg-free pizza at a restaurant near Kirkland, but the crust tasted like cardboard, and I felt crushed. :( (It also didn't help that I was bringing it to attend a gourmet pizza-baking party.)

Then recently, Daniel spotted this sign in our neighborhood: "Garlic Jim's Famous Gourmet Pizza: Gluten-Free Pizza now available!"

Still, I was cautiously optimistic, because things that say "gluten-free" could still have dairy or eggs in them. Usually eggs are the culprit.

So I wrote in to their website to inquire. To my delight, the GF crust they make is dairy- and egg-free! This was music to my ears.

They don't offer any vegan (i.e. dairy-free) cheese alternative, but the company rep told me the pizzas would still be good without cheese (with just the sauce).

So we took the plunge. We were so glad we did -- it was the best tasting gluten-free, egg-free crust we've tasted to date! AND we can get the pizzas delivered!

I used to be a bit of a pizza snob and didn't exactly jump to order delivery pizzas in the past, but two years of deprivation can do wonders...

Happy belated Valentine's Day!

-A

No comments: