Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Return of Aunt Flo - 還ってきたお月様。

Weather: A beautiful sunny day after snow! 40°F
Energy Level: 3 out of 10
Mood: 4/10
Health: 2.5/10

I hesitated to write about this because there are male friends and family members who read my blog, but I figured they're all adults and they can handle it. Also if there are people out there in a similar situation as mine, they might appreciate they're not alone.

I'm not sure of the reason, but for quite a while I didn't get what I could call a "regular" period.

When I was a teenager, I cursed at the fact I was a girl and I had to deal with such a thing once a month. But when it goes away, it's kind of sad. Especially since I'm not at the age to expect to lose it yet, I kind of felt like I was half the woman.

My moon time wasn't completely gone -- it would show inkling of it, like a few rain drops. And it would stop. Then a few more rain drops. Like my body was trying to do it, but couldn't quite bring itself to produce the whole deal.

My body may have been under massive stress because of the celiac disease. I've heard, with undiagnosed celiac disease, many women experience infertility and repeated miscarriages; it would only make sense the effects spread to periods too. My progesterone level, taken last April right after I went on gluten-free diet, was less than that of post-menopausal women.

I took progesterone medication and used a cream, but for the past 10 months or so I've been on gluten-free diet, that still didn't quite do it. Perhaps my body didn't have enough resource.

Then, with the new year came a surprise -- a few days of regular moon time! Yay! I felt like I was beginning to become whole, again. Though it could be the new progesterone medication, maybe I'm beginning to absorb more nutrients!

With older researches, they used to think the atrophied villi (the little fingers in small intestine that absorb nutrition) from celiac disease should come back within months of beginning gluten-free diet. With newer researches, now they say while the most obvious symptoms (stomach cramps, etc.) usually go away within months, the atrophied villi would usually take up to 24 months to recover and some may not completely come back.

So it takes time.

Being gluten-free has become easier over time. Eating out while avoiding cross-contamination is still a challenge, but we feel like we see more and more gluten-free options available even at mainstream grocery stores. I feel quite lucky that I found out when I did, when there is abundant information about celiac disease and gluten-free diet both in print and on the Internet. I can't imagine what it would've been like if there was no Internet!

(Gluten-free diet seems to be even in vogue. I recently found out that a friend of mine went on it to be more health-conscious, not so much for medical reasons.)

I also find it lucky that I found out before I really tried to become pregnant. It could have been really stressful, without knowing the cause, if I had miscarriage after miscarriage (or not become pregnant at all). I do want children someday if I could, so it's good to learn what may be keeping me from being fully nourished. (Even if that doesn't happen, it's good for myself!)

The first real moon time in a long time kind of exhausted me, but it made me giddy and happy (so much so I called my mom in the middle of the night -- daytime in Japan).

I continue to have a slight cold (continuing since before Christmas) with my wimpy immune system, hence fewer blog posts lately, but I'm alive with moon time!

Welcome back, Aunt Flo.

-A

天候: 雪のあときれいな晴れ! 4°C
元気度(勢い): 3/10 
気分: 4/10
体調: 2.5/10

男性のお友達や家族も私のブログを読んでくださることがあるので、
お月様タイム(とシアトルのナチュラル志向タイプは呼ぶ)のことを
書くのは当初気がひけたのですが、みんな大人だし、
もし似たような状況の人が読んだら「私だけじゃないんだ~」と
思えるかなと思い、書くことにしました。

理由は定かではありませんが、長いあいだ、「普通の」
お月様タイムはありませんでした。

10代の頃は、女の子に生まれて1ヶ月に一回面倒だなあ、と
文句を言ったものです。 でもなくなってみるとなんだかさびしい。
まだなくなる歳でもないので、自分の一部が欠けたような気分でした。

私のお月様タイムは完全になくなった訳ではありませんでした。
1ヶ月に一回、訪ねてきたい意思のようなものは見受けられました。
一粒二粒降ってきて、「やっぱりやーめた」と止まってしまう雨みたい。
体としてはそうしたいのだけれど、舞台に出てきたものの、
「あ、やっぱりちょっと無理でした。お粗末さんでした~」と
ひっこんでしまう芸人みたいな感じ。

セリアック病のせいで栄養がうまく吸収できず、体にストレスが
溜まったのでしょう。 グルテンフリーの食生活を始める前の
セリアック病の女性は、不妊症や流産を繰り返すそうですから、
生理に影響するのもうなずけます。 昨年4月、グルテンフリーに
なった直後にプロゲステロン(黄体ホルモン)のレベルを検査した
ときは、更年期後の女性よりも低いレベル、と言われたので、
生理がヘンテコリンなのも納得しました。

薬でプロゲステロンを摂ってみたりしましたが、グルテンフリーに
なってからここ10ヶ月ほども、満月のお月様タイムは来ませんでした。
体にそれだけのことをする資源がなかったようです。

そして新年になって、まるでプレゼントのように、数日間お月様が
訪ねてきました。 イェイ! 新しいプロゲステロンのお薬のせいかも
知れませんが、体が栄養を少し能率的に吸収し始めたのでは?と
楽観的に考えています。

古い情報だと、セリアック病のせいで萎縮・死んでしまった小腸の絨毛
(栄養を吸収する小さい指のような組織)はグルテンフリーの食生活を
始めれば何ヶ月かでもとに戻る、というようなことでしたが、
もっと最近のリサーチによると、一番明らかな症状(腹痛など)は
数ヶ月で著しく減るものの、腸絨毛は24ヶ月くらいまでかかるか、
または完全には戻らない、ということです。

長期戦、ということですね。

グルテンフリーの生活をするのもかなり慣れてきました。

外食するときなどにグルテンの交差汚染(なにかを切った包丁で
私の食べるものを切るとか)を防ぐのは未だ難しいことですが、
普通のグロサリーストアなどでも、「グルテンフリー」のオプションが
どんどん増えてきている感があります。 活字でもインターネットでも
グルテンフリーの情報がたくさんある、いまの時代に診断された
私は、本当にラッキーだと思います。 インターネットがなかったら
どうしていたか、想像もつきません!

(それに、グルテンフリーのダイエットはひそかに流行している
みたいです。 友人で、糖尿病ではあるものの病気には関係なく、
健康のためにとグルテンフリーのダイエットを始めた人もいます。)

それに幸運だったと思うのは、子供を作ろう!とか頑張るまえに
診断されたこと。 もしそうでなくって、原因も知らずになぜか
流産を繰り返したり不妊症だったら、すごいストレスになっていた
ことでしょう。 将来、できるかはわからないけれど、できたら
子供が欲しいなあと思うので、栄養吸収の妨げになっている
要因をいま発見しておくことはいいことだったと思います。
(子供はできなくても、将来の自分のためにも!)

久しぶりのお月様タイムは疲れましたが、なんだか変だけれど
ドキドキワクワクして嬉しくなってしまいました。 
(日本では日中だったものの、思わず夜中に母に電話してしまいました。)

免疫不全のせいか、クリスマス前からの風邪が治らなくて
ブログの更新も休んでしまいましたが、お月様タイムが来るほど
生きていますのでご心配なく!

フローおばさん(スラングではとも言う)、お帰りなさい。

-英

3 comments:

mick(^o^)k said...

Bright side of the moon/
In Japan, when a daughter experiences her first period, the mother would prepare a dinner of 'steamed rice with red-bean'.
My wife may see the day soon, for our daughter is almost 12. As a father, I don't know what to do with it. The best thing I could do, I guess, is to play a parody song of Pink Floyd, maybe.... In your case, obviously this was not the first one, but I am still very happy for you that my wish on your Christmas card seemed to be coming true. mick

Aya said...

Hi Mick san!

Thank you. I must say, that time when your mom makes the "red rice" to celebrate your first p was one of the most embarrassing moments in my life! As a sensitive teen (as all teenager girls are), I thought the blatant announcement at family dinner was a pure torture. Of course I had a brother too, which made it worse. A parody Pink Floyd song would've been a little better, but do kids nowadays even know Pink Floyd???

David bone said...

It is a very informative and useful post thanks it is good material to read this post increases my knowledgecheap hotels in Singapore