Friday, January 4, 2008

Happy New Year 2008! - 謹賀新年

"Night and Day"
by Germaine Arnaktauyok

Happy New Year to everyone out there!

Sorry I've been MIA for a while... for the past couple of weeks I've been under the weather. Chills and slight fevers had dominated my first days of the year. I was wrapped up in the quilt Sandy made us for our wedding, playing our new Wii, sniffling (and icing my hands from Wii soreness).

On the New Year Day I had wanted to go to the local Japanese shrine to make new year wishes, but that would have to wait.

This year, 2008 happens to be a year of rat, which is my year :-) (Those of you who know Chinese zodiacs can figure out my age...) So it's bound to be good, right?

As the calendar turns its page, it's always tempting to summarize and reflect upon the past year (and make resolutions for the new year, which never works). As 2007 was drawing to a close, the words I was thinking were "night and day" (partly because my lovely mom-in-law gave me a gorgeous glass bead pendant aptly so titled).

Night and Day
When people use this phrase, the connotation is that the day would bring light and would be much better than night. I beg to differ. Like yin and yang, one can only exist with the other, and night is needed for day. I thought of 2007 as my night, when I had to rest my body and find out what it needed.

It's much more difficult to realize how good things are when you don't have a night period. Case in point: when I was in high school, I managed to crush my cheekbone into my face in an accident. The ensuing reconstruction surgery, while expertly performed, left my eyelid droopy and the right side of my face paralyzed. For a few years, I'd wondered if I'd ever look normal (the terms I thought at the time were "not freakish"). I couldn't smile on the right side of my face, and you could always see the red flesh under my right eye. (Then my long-distance-ex promptly dumped me, which meant the end of life to a sixteen-year-old.)

Fortunately, the combination of a great plastic surgeon, young cells, and my mother's prayers worked in my favor, and today I can smile on both sides of my face. People say they can barely tell I had plastic surgery. I look in the mirror each day and smile, just to check it still works. And I thank my lucky stars. If I hadn't had that experience, I probably would have dreaded that I have large pores every time I looked at the mirror (which I do) and ended at that.

Dusk and Night
When I think back to all the warning signs my body was emitting (lack of tooth enamel, low energy even in youth, depression, month-long migraines, stomachaches, etc.), I think it was maybe a long dusk. An introduction to my restful period this past year. And I can't thank everyone enough for how supportive they have been in this period.

Excitedly planning a Japanese wedding and having to cancel it could not have been an easy thing to go through for my mom, as well as Daniel's family who planned to fly to Japan to attend. My friends who were planning to attend have been as understanding as my family. Daniel was always at my side, encouraging me to do whatever's best for my body. Then my parents flew to Seattle this past summer instead to check on me. Everyone close to me has been nothing short of amazing, including friends here who read my blog.

(Incidentally, I've learned who are truly nice people -- the absence of my previously held fancy job title and lack of clout in a new town very effectively filter out fair-weather friends.)

I've also made some new friends; friends whom I wouldn't have met otherwise. In short, I've absorbed love from every direction, when my body was feeble. I really look at night as a nurturing period.

Dawn -- before Day?
It seems greedy and far-fetched to expect to one day wake up and feel like Popeye (although I wouldn't mind that). So my hope for 2008 is that it will be a dawn period, when I catch glimpses of tangerine-colored light. Once upon a time, before I was born, my parents thought about naming me Akatsuki, which is Japanese for dawn. It was either Aya or Akatsuki. (Aya is probably easier to say, though Akatsuki would've been a cool name too.) Maybe I'll live up to my second name candidate this year!

In this transition period, I'd like to thank everyone who has supported me when I've been at my weakest. (You’ve been like Death Eaters when Voldemort was just a feeble lump of flesh! I will return to my mission of world domination! Okay, maybe a bad example.) I wish you a wonderful year to come, as wonderful as you all have been to me.

-A

明けましておめでとうございます!

しばらくご無沙汰してしまってすみません。

ここ2週間ほど体調を崩してしまい、年末、お正月はプルプル寒気と微熱。 結婚祝いにサンドラさんが作ってくれたキルトに包まれて、グスグスいいながらクリスマスに入手した Wii と戯れていました。 (そしてその後痛い手を冷やすアホな毎日。)

元旦には、近郊にある神社(あるんですよこれが)に行って初詣をしたかったのですが、その元気はありませんでした。 また今度行こうっと。

今年は子年。 年女です。 年女って、いいことあるんですよねきっと?

暦が変わる時期には、過去一年を振り返ってみたり、新年の決意(たいてい続かない)、とか、考えてみたくなるものです。 義母にクリスマスで頂いたガラス細工のペンダントの題名が「夜と昼」だったこともあって、2007年の終わりに 考えていたのは、夜と昼、陰陽、といったことでした。

夜と昼 (Night and Day)
英語で Night and Day と言うとき、昼は明かりがあって夜と比べずっといい、という意味合いが強いのですが、陰陽というように、どちらも必要なのだと考えさせられた一年でした。 2007年は、休んで、体に何が必要なのか覚えて与える、夜でした。

夜、または陰がないと、昼の陽がどれだけ明るくてありがたいものなのか考えずらいものだと思います。 高校生のとき事故で頬骨を骨折・陥没させて手術をしたことがありましたが、その後は顔の右半分が麻痺してしまい、顔半分は笑えませんでした。 右目はいつもアッカンベー状態。 数年間、ジロジロ見られない普通の顔に戻れるのかなあ、と心配したものです。 (そのすぐ後、長距離恋愛をしていた彼にアッサリ振られたのも16歳の自分には死ぬほどショックだった。)

幸運なことに、手術をした外科医の腕が良かったのと、若い細胞、そして母の祈りのお陰で、顔の両側で今は笑えるようになりました。 会う人には、手術したことがあるなんて分からない、と言われます。 毎日鏡を見る度、ニコッと笑ってみて、ああ、まだ両側で笑える、良かった、と幸運に感謝します。 もし若いときの暗い経験がなかったら、鏡を見る度、「ああ毛穴が大きい」(と思うけど)と嘆くだけだったと思います。

夕暮れと夜
ずっと前から体が発信していた警戒信号(歯のエナメル層がなかったこと、若いときから疲れていたこと、鬱、1ヶ月続いた偏頭痛、腹痛など)を考えると、長い夕暮れだったのかな、と思います。 ここ1年休んだ、夜の序曲。 その夜の暗い時期に、支えて下さった皆さんにお礼の言いようもありません。

ひとり駆けずり回って日本での結婚式の準備を色々としてくれた母。 それを私の体調のせいで全部キャンセルするのは簡単なことではなかったと思います(ごめんなさい!)。 それに 日本にみんなで行く準備をしてくれたダニエルの家族。 出席してくれる予定だった友人もみんな、不便より先に心配してくれました。 ダニエルも、私の体調第一と、ここ一年ライフスタイルを変えてくれ、夏には二人で初めて訪ねてくれた両親。 近しい人みんな、ブログを読んで下さる方々も含め、驚くほど良くしていただきました。

(病気をすると、どの人が本当にいい人なのか分かります。 前はあったけれど今はない肩書きや、引っ越して無くなった影響力、それに関わらず良くしてくださる方々と、いい時だけの友達との違いが顕著に現れます。)

病気をしたことで、そうでなかったら会っていなかったであろうお友達にも恵まれました。 体が弱っているときに、あらゆる方向から愛を感じとりました。 ですから、夜(陰)は、養生するとき、心も体も栄養を吸う時期だと思います。

昼の前の暁
今年ある日突然起きて、ポパイのように元気になるというのはちょっと欲張りだし現実的でもなさそうです(それでも私はいいんだけど)。 2008年は、陽が出てくる前の、うす蜜柑色の光がところどころ見えてくる、暁のような時期になるといいな、と思います。 むかしむかし私が生まれる前、両親は私の名前を暁とつけようかな、と考えたそうです。 英か暁。 (言うのはあやのほうが簡単だけれど、あかつきもオリジナルでいい名前ですね。) 今年は、私の名前の第2候補に似合うように、と願います。

一番弱った過渡期に私を支えてくださった皆さんに、心から御礼申し上げます。 ( ヴォルデモートがパンダの赤ちゃんみたいに無力な肉塊だったときも支えてくれた デス・イーターみたい! そして私は世界征服の道に戻れるのよ〜。 あ、これはちょっと良くない例でした。 失礼。) 素敵なみなさんにとって、同じくらい素敵な年でありますように!

-英

No comments: